The Greek Orthodox Church of St Stephanos is located in Hurlstone Park, in the inner-western region of the Sydney Metropolitan area. It is under the guidance and auspices of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, headed by the Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in Australia His Eminence Archbishop Makarios. 

The Greek Orthodox Parish of St Stephanos was officially established in 1983 by Reverend Fr Panagiotis Baskoutas together with local Orthodox Christians after purchasing the church from the Anglican Church, formerly being the Anglican Church of St Stephen established in 1924.

The foundation stone was laid by Deborah Louise Vickery on 31 May 1924 and the first Anglican clergyman to serve the church was Rev G.A. Chambers (Source).

After refurbishment of the church to comply with Orthodox Christian tradition, the official opening was celebrated by His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos on Sunday 9th May 1999.


The area known as the Parish of Hurlstone Park was once part of the Parish of Holy Trinity Church, Dulwich Hill when Rev G Chambers was rector.

On 8th July 1907 twenty five parishioners met at Holy Trinity Church and decided to work for a branch church in Hurlstone Park. Land was eventually bought in Clargo Street and a timber church was erected, which is now the present Parish Hall.

However the site wasn't very prominent and a move was made to a new site on the corner of Dunstaffenage St and Canterbury Road during the week commencing 28th September 1914. The timber church was cut into halves and transported to its present site. The first service was held on the following Sunday.

On the 20 May 1915, the Archbishop addressed a meeting of parishioners regarding the proposal to build a new church and a building fund was opened with promises of four hundred and seventy four pounds.

The foundation stone was laid by Mrs E Vickery on 31th May 1924. The church was dedicated by New Archdeacon Boyce on 18th December, 1924. The holy table was dedicated on 8th May 1927.

The first pipe organ was unveiled and dedicated by Rev Chambers on 27 July 1931. This organ was originally built for an exhibition in Melbourne, later purchased by the Central Methodist Mission and installed in the Lyceum Theatre. When the more modern organs were being used the organ was sold to a builder who broke it up into three parts and St Stephen's bought one part. After a period of time the organ became a continuous worry and often broke down. At that time the organist was Mr B Vernon and another parishioner D G Johnson were always repairing it and after some consideration a new organ was installed.

Mr Vernon was organist for many years and choirmaster of a very good choir. Phillip Wood became the organist some time later and still plays the organ at St Paul's Canterbury.

The Rev David H. Rettick was inducted to St Stephen's church in the new provisional district of Hurlstone Park on 4th April 1928.

The foundation of the Rectory, which was built by Mr Midgley, was laid on 1" March 1930. Rev Rettick was responsible for forming a scout group, which consisted of cubs, scouts and senior scouts called Rovers. A scout "Den" was laid out under the church and later a chapel was built by the Rovers. The group met for several years aftor the opening of the Den, which was opened by Baden Powell.

A service of confirmation was held on 19th march 1930 where 100 females and 73 males were confirmed.

Rev G P Ware from Grafton exchanged parishes with Rev Reffick in August 1936 and was rector till ill health forced him to retire in 1945. He passed away 1947 and a memorial service was held on 20 April 1947 and a memorial window was dedicated to him on 30th April 1950.

St Stephen’s is a beautiful church and many of the windows are memorials to people who worshipped there for many years.

The war memorial and Niche in the wall were dedicated on 9th November 1947 in the presence of Governor J Northcote. The names of the men and women who served in the services in 2nd World War were written in the book, which was placed in the niche in the wall under the window.

St Stephen’s was in debt for many years and became free and was consecrated by the most Rev. Loane, Archbishop of Sydney on 13th November 1966.

St Stephen's fortunes grew and fluctuated in a manner similar to other churches in the area. In 1974 the Rector of Canterbury was appointed locum tenens of Hurlstone Park and the latter parish was merged with that of Canterbury in 1978. At a special vestry meeting on 23 May 1982 it was decided that the services should be discontinued and the church closed. The final service was held on Sunday 26th December 1982, St Stephen's Day. Due to many requests a special thanksgiving service was held on Sunday, 27th February 1983. The service was conducted by Rev D Egan and the preacher was Bishop G Parker, a former rector of St Stephen's.

It was a sad occasion for many people who had attended St Stephen’s for many years. The congregation went to various churches and about 12 began to worship at St Paul’s Canterbury.

SOURCE: This record was compiled from old church messengers and known information by Elsie Grovett.


The Greek Orthodox priests to have served at the parish of St Stephanos are as follows:

Fr Panagiotis Baskoutas ...................... 29/01/1984 - 27/12/1986
Fr Zacharias Dardarneliotis ................. 28/12/1986 - 05/01/1990
Fr John Combis ................................... 06/01/1990 - 06/03/1993
Fr Nicholas Bozikis .............................. 07/03/1993 - 05/06/2011
Fr Stavros Ivanos ................................. 06/06/2011 - 30/11/2021
Fr Nectarios Joannou ........................... 01/12/2021 - Present