650 NEW CANTERBURY RD (PO Box 192) HURLSTONE PARK NSW 2193 | 0414 241 360

Parish History



ESTABLISHMENT

The Greek Orthodox Church of St Stephanos is located in Hurlstone Park, in the inner-western region of the Sydney Metropolitan area. It is under the guidance and auspices of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, headed by the Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in Australia His Eminence Archbishop Makarios. 

The Greek Orthodox Parish of St Stephanos was officially established in 1983 by Reverend Fr Panagiotis Baskoutas together with local Orthodox Christians after purchasing the church from the Anglican Church, formerly being the Anglican Church of St Stephen established in 1924.

The foundation stone was laid by Deborah Louise Vickery on 31 May 1924 and the first Anglican clergyman to serve the church was Rev G.A. Chambers (Source).

After refurbishment of the church to comply with Orthodox Christian tradition, the official opening and first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos on Sunday 9th May 1999.


CLERGY

The priests to have served at the parish of St Stephanos are as follows:

Fr Panagiotis Baskoutas
Fr Zacharias Dardarneliotis
Fr John Combis
Fr Nicholas Bozikis: 1993 - 2011
Fr Stavros Ivanos: 2011 - 30.11.2021
Fr Nectarios Joannou: 01.12.2021 - Present